Saturday, August 16, 2008

First week in Uganda

So my internet connection is painfully slow and I am not sure if I can upload many pictures. i may try to do so later today.

Today is Saturday and we had two hours of language training this morning and have the afternoon off. Since we have been going non-stop since arriving in Uganda, it is nice to have a break! We typically train from 8am-5 or 6pm and there is much to be done at home.

New adjustments in Uganda:

1) bucket bath. As most people dont have running water in their house, we take bucket baths daily. This involves filling a basin with water (and boiling some if you want it warm) and using a cup or washcloth to wash. At first i thought you were supposed to stand in the basin and did that for several days, but after watching my host mother wash the children, I learned that you stand next to it. We have "bath rooms" which is where you bathe, and the water drains out. Washing my hair is interesting and I have found that if I put in conditioner, I cannot easily rinse it out and my hair in greasy.

2) washing clothes: Again this is done in basins. Frst you soak the clothes and scrub them. Ten squeeze all of the water and soap out and put in the second basin to rise. Aain squeeze all the water and soap out and put in the third. By this time, most of the soap is out. I hang dry my clothes outside.

3) ironing: How you look is very important in Uganda. Everyone is very clean and well pressed. As we dont have electricity, we iron using a "coal box" . The British missionaries brought these over when they brought cotton and are still used today. They involve putting hot coal in them and then waving them back and forth so that the coal gets air and heats up. You iron like you would with any iron and when it cools down, you wave it back and forth. My brothers helped me the first time and I hope to do it myself today.

I will end here and hopefully I can upload some pics.

No comments: