1. my bro odegaard drinking fanta. too cool of a kid.
2. my first host father yekosophat.
3. me at the craft market where yekosophat sells some of his goods
4. odegaard and i in the taxi going to kampala
I went with odegaard and yekosophat to kampala to sell some of his crafts. it was a great experience to see what it is like to be disabled in a developing country. definitely NOT easy, buy Yekosophat does it with a great attitude and style!
Its been awhile since I have updated my blog and a lot has happened since then. I am now living with a new family. My old family was absolutely wonderful however, my host mother left with the two small children and it was to much for Olegaard and Gier to take care of everything PLUS me. It was very hard to leave them as I loved being with them, but I think it was the best decision for us and them. I will visit often and will just be the sister who isn’t there all the time.
Today was a great day as we visited a health clinic in town. We got to see them give immunizations and help them weigh babies. The clinic was quite nice compared to the clinics in Afghanistan but substandard compared to those in the US. We visited the maternity ward ( which is a building with one room for patients and one room for deliveries) and a mother who had given birth 5 hours earlier was packing up her sheets and blankets and taking her baby home. They were taking the baby and mother home on the back of a motorcycle. The trainers had said they typically walk the baby home, so I guess this is pretty good transportation!
Tomorrow we are going out into the community to work on our language skills. I am getting a little better at Luganda. I can successfully greet people, ask them about their families, ask them what they like, etc. I am also getting to know the foods, animals, occupations, etc. Friday we have a mock interview in Luganda and I am not sure I am quite ready for it so I will be studying hard the next couple of days!
Well, I shall end this here as it will soon be getting dark (7am-7pm are daylight hours here… we are on the equator!!))

1 comment:
Sounds like things are going well Dana! I'm so glad you are taking the time to blog - I love being able to read about your adventures! We miss yoU!
Post a Comment