Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving!!!
Thought I better put an update on my blog for this holiday weekend. As Thanksgiving is a very American holiday, the Ugandans don’t know about it so I wont really be celebrating. There are turkeys here but they are not worried this week and will likely be saved until Christmas when I have heard there is lots of slaughtering of animals!

I am going to try to make a pumpkin pie from scratch (no canned pumpkin) and without an oven. Should be interesting. J

Have a few pics to share. More are on facebook for those who are connected that way!

First one is some o the women from the womens group cooking maatoke (green bananas). Maatoke is a staple in Uganda and people like to have it daily. I didn’t used to like it, but it is definitely growing on me and I have even peeled and boiled some myself. People like to give me food and this is one thing they like to give me. The maatoke is wrapped in banana leaves and basically steamed and then mashed in the leaves and served with sauce. The women were cooking all of this for a burial. I think they said it took about 12 hours to steam all of this and they transported it by truck. It had to weigh hundreds of pounds!















Here I am crashing a graduation party! Actually, this is my supervisor Betty and her family. Her son graduated from college and this was his party! We had delicious food in a bag, soda, and peanuts. It was fun to meet all Betty’s children and I know Patrick(the graduate) as he has been home as he looks for a job!











Last week it rained and I went to our trading center after it rained and as the sun was setting. This is the street between my house and the trading center. Random chicken in the road, but I thought a beautiful picture.

























Here I am with the womens group after we built a nursery bed. Some of the women did not think it was necessary so we planted seeds under the bed and next to the bed to see which ones grew the best. We had to walk about 3 miles each way to get to this womens so this was a VERY exhausting day! She fed us cassava and beans so that helped us have enough energy to come back!















This ladies property was amazing as she used all her land and used it well! She was growing coffee seedlings in bags everywhere which she sells to the government agriculture program. She is also growing me a passion fruit seeding and also has coffee, maatoke, and lots of gardens as well as pigs! I didn’t know what coffee looked like before I came here so I thought I would share a pic. They harvest the pods and then dry them before selling them.














Here is a banana plant in its glory! This is when they pick the bananas for maatoke- when they are still green. Tonight a girl at the school is going to come over so we can make maatoke with g-nut sauce. G-nuts are peanuts and you buy them crushed, boil them with some spices and tomatoes and eat. It is delicious!




















Here are also updated pics of my newly painted adobe. I painted the bottom brown and then searched for ZAIN pink which is EVERYWHERE! ZAIN is a cell phone company which is all prepaid. Anywhere that sells ZAIN “top-up” cards seems to get this bright magenta paint. I have been eying it for awhile and thought it would be easy to find. Not so, but after about 10 shops and some good negotiating skills, I got 1 quart. Painted the flowers in my kitchen area and taped a line and painted it as a border in my bedroom. It is definitely a mediocre job, but with no ladder, poor tape and brushes and walls that are missing chunks of concrete anyways, I think it looks good.














Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!!!

No comments: